Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Monday, April 22, 2013

Honey of a Dinner on Saturday night

On Saturday, my daughter Sarah and I enjoyed the company of six people for dinner in which all the menu items included honey as an ingredient (well, almost all).  We had a great time.  Ernie, the man who purchased the dinner at the bee auction last September, brought his wife, his son, his daughter-in-law and her parents to the dinner.

The first course was flat breads made with Mahon cheese and drizzled with honey and thyme:

photo by Stan Williams

We served them on a honey bee tray that Sarah's mother-in-law had given me.

The second course was a spring pea soup with cream.  It had about a teaspoon of honey in it.




















For the entree we had roasted cornish game hens with honey, thyme and lemon.  On the plate also were the two items that included no honey - a wild rice pilaf and asparagus ribbons (way too much trouble - note to self: Don't make these again!) 

We also had Canadian Buttermilk Honey rolls - no photo again.  We were busy in the kitchen - no time for cameras!
























The asparagus was pretty but a lot of trouble:



















Then, European style we had a simple butter lettuce salad with bleu cheese and a honey champagne vinaigrette dressing, but none of us remembered to take a photo!

For dessert we had profiteroles with honey lavender ice cream.  I made the ice cream earlier in the week and made the profiteroles the day of the dinner.  I've made the profiteroles before for Sarah's birthday.
























This one was taken after the first profiterole on the plate had already been eaten!

Stan, one of the guests, took the profiterole photo, the photo of the dinner plate with the hen, rice, and asparagus, and the photo of the flatbreads.  Thank you for sharing it with me, Stan.  Stan also brought wine to go with every dish.

I had fun cooking everything; Sarah was a fabulous helper and expediter for the meal; and the company was lots of fun.  I'll offer it as an auction item again in September this year.

1 comment:

  1. What a delightfully sounding meal!! I'm sure everything was a big hit because it sounds like a feast fit for a king.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...