Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Monday, March 25, 2013

Hive Installation Glitch

Most of the time when something goes wrong in a hive, I'm quite clear that I've made an error (and anyone who has been following this blog knows that I have made many)

Every once in a while I'm not totally responsible for the bee messes that can happen in my hives.  Last Sunday and Monday I installed two packages - one in my own backyard and one at the Chastain Conservancy.  Generally the beekeeper would go back into the hive in about 3 - 5 days to see if the queen has been released from the queen cage.

However, both we've had bad weather ever since and (good news for me) my office practice has been very busy so I haven't had any free bee-ing hours during the few times when it was warm enough to open a hive.  Over the weekend our highs were in the 40s and it was pouring rain on Saturday as well as cold.  We can't get into the Chastain apiary on Sundays.

So now it's Monday - one week from installation - and I have not opened either hive to see if the queens were released.  Hopefully they each were and all is well, but you never know.  The temperature is going to be in the freezing range, really until Friday, so the chance of opening the hives is slim.

So here are the various scenarios:  The queen has been released and the hive is functioning with an empty queen cage in the hive.  That shouldn't be a problem at my home hive because I wedged the queen cage between frames:



















But at Chastain, I set the queen cage on the bottom bar of a frame (one of the advantages of using foundationless frames).  There if she has been released, the queen cage is in the way and they may have built crooked comb around the cage, throwing off the symmetry of their comb building:



















It won't be in the 60s until Friday and I'll be out of town, but Julia will open the Chastain hive that day and remove the queen cage and check to make sure she was released, but I won't be able to do a thing between now and then because of the weather.

Atlanta has the strangest weather.  We don't have winter until March and now it's the week after the first day of spring and we are having the coldest week since March of last year.

4 comments:

  1. Would a small strip of comb be enough of a guide to get the bees started making straight comb? I have several top bar comb from my hive that could cut into strips. Will that work or do I need to buy foundation to use?

    Margali

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bees will build comb with just a popsicle stick as a comb guide. The first time in a new frame, it helps to give them something as a guide, but just a little something. I'm not sure how you would get the top bar comb cut into strips to stay, but you could adhere it with melted wax as I do when I use strips of foundation. After the bees have built comb into a frame, you don't need started strips - when you cut out the comb, the thin strip of wax left serves at a comb guide. Whether the comb is straight depends on whether the hive is level. It should be level side to side - back to front is not as important. Also if you are using foundationless frames for honey storage as I do, never give the bees a whole box of empty frames. They then make really wide comb. Helps if you can alternate drawn comb and foundationless frames. Or feed in empty frames in between frames of CAPPED honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Linda, thanks for your reply. Based on this other blog http://www.honeybeesuite.com/converting-langstroth-frames-to-foundationless/ I turned the wedges on their side and nailed them in. My main goal is wax for crafting and just enjoying the bees so I didn't buy any foundation at all.

    I'll use the top bar comb to make some partially "drawn" frames to help them get started with the right width comb. I don't have any local mentors so your blog is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm admittedly new at this, but I don't think there is any problem. A week isn't much time to build out the frames and since they start from the top, the cage on the bottom shouldn't be an issue. The advice around here for packages, (the PNW) is to not open the hive for a week to 10 days & give the queen some time.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...