Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Introducing Buckhead to Bees and Beekeeping

Yesterday my friend Jay and I had a table at the Buckhead Heritage Festival to show how bees are kept.  Jay brought his observation hive and honey to sell.  I brought bee veils for the kids to try on, honeycomb to pick up, honey to taste, and lip balm to sell.  We had a great time and the groups that stopped by our table were enthusiastic.

Jay talking to kids about his observation hive.


Me, talking to one of our many child visitors.


Everyone looked for the queen but we never found her (she's probably in the box below instead of walking around on the frame that was lifted up).

Here are pictures of the many kids in bee veils who stopped, tried them on and were willing to have their picture taken.






They had a great time and so did we!






7 comments:

  1. Had a client on Habersham............

    Wish I had known about the festival would have come.

    How many parents did you connect with?

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. those kids are future bee keepers. you are doing a very honorable thing for exposing them to bee keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of getting one of those exhibition hives. That made me think - has anyone ever kept one of these inside all winter long as an emergency reserve nuc? WOuld that work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, here's a guy who does winter a observation hive: http://beenatural.wordpress.com/plans/observation-hive/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those kids seem to be so eager to learn more about bees. And I am sure they got pretty excited wearing those beekeeper hats. I hope more and more children would take interest about nature.

    Going back to those beekeeper hats, what do you have there? the ones with detachable veils?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hat with the yellow outlined veil came with my Dadant bee suit. The other one I ordered for my four year old grandson. The Dadant one has a veil over a helmet. The other has a veil that cannot attach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. your grandson must be really proud to have his own beekeeper'hat. I'm sure his playmates envy him for having such a cool hat. thanks to his granny.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...