Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Harvesting Honey with My brother Barry

I traveled to my hometown of Natchez, MS this weekend to help my brother Barry harvest his very first honey.  He was so excited.  He had asked me what he needed to do crush and strain and had bought everything I said down to the flexible cutting boards and a pestle!

Here he is harvesting his first honey crop (click on the slideshow to view it full screen):


5 comments:

  1. Very cool! I remember that feeling with the first harvest, really great. Saturday is my harvest day, can't wait to see what I end up with. It looks like a really good honey year because of all the rain and wildflowers that the rain produced. I'll be posting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Barry on his first harvest! So exciting!!! Linda, I would love to have pestles like yours. Where do you find them?
    Tks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest a potato masher than the pestle. Choose a masher that is designed to not strain the wax. The masher would cover a larger surface area and make the extraction more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I'll experiment with that the next time. My potato masher has holes in it that will allow uncrushed wax to come through - the pestle does not and smashes everything in its path - but indeed it has a smaller surface area than the potato masher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:23 AM

    A man with a motorized honey extractor is happier and more satisfied!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...