Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Inspection #3 at Blue Heron

Blue Heron was due for another teaching inspection today for members of Metro Atlanta Beekeepers' Association and people who took our short course. We had about 8 people at the inspection.

Luckily we had good queen spotters in the group who spotted the queen in my two hives. These hives were all started from nucs this year and not one hive of the three has its original queen. Keith Fielder at our last bee meeting said that the queens in nucs are often poorly mated or old queens that a beekeeper wants to get rid of.

Julia's hive swarmed multiple times and finally have made themselves a good queen. My first hive showed all indication of being queenless from the beginning so we gave them resources and they requeened themselves with a well-functioning queen. The hive that we got to make up for the nuc being queenless had a queen in it but she is no longer there. They have also made a new queen and either ousted the old one or sent out a swarm with her.

Here is the slideshow of our inspection today. As usual, click on the slide to see it full sized and with captions. You can choose how long the picture will be on your screen as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...