Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Queen is Dead - Oh, Woe is Me


Today it is in the high 60s after about a week of extremely cold weather (for Atlanta) - lows in the teens and highs in the 40s. The bees are very active. There's a lot of carrying out the dead and a lot of bees in the leaves in front of the hives - dead or dying.

I took some pictures of the bees in front of the hives and came in to look at them on my computer. The first picture has a dead bee in it that looked long in body and suspiciously like the queen.

I hurried outside and picked up the leaf and brought it indoors - and I am so sad to discover that it is indeed the queen from Bermuda. There's no way on January 6 with no drones that the bees in this hive will make another queen. What am I going to do?

The bees are very active in this hive and are bringing in pollen. You'll also notice in the picture that the dead queen has no wings. Perhaps she has been dead for a while.

Well, first I am going to post on Beemaster and Beesource and see what they say and then I'm going to call the man I buy bees from and see what he suggests in terms of how to get a queen as early as possible.

Yours in panic,

Linda
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda I am sorry too. But I think you should wait until spring for get a new queen, Or you should join together that hive with other once which have a queen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a saga! I can imagine your anxiety upon realizing your queen was dead. so glad it looks like everything turned out OK. good bees!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...