Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Translations of the word "bee"

In the process of revamping the sidebar, I don't want to lose these either, so I'm posting them here so they'll continue to be a part of the site.

--in Czech is včela
--in Danish is bi
--in Dutch is honingbij, bij
--in Esperanto is abelo
--in Finnish is mehil'inen
--in French is abeille
--in German is Wettbewerb, Biene, Biene
--in Greek is ουσ
--in Italian is ape
--in Latvian is bite
--in Lithuanian is bitė
--in Maori is Pi
--in Norwegian is bie
--in Philippine Islands in Tagalog is pukyutan
--in Polish is pszczoła
--in Portuguese is abelha
--in Rumanian is albină
--in Russian is пчёла
--in Serbo-Croat is včela
--in Spanish is abeja
--in Swahili is nyuki
--in Swedish is bi
--in Turkish is balarisi or ari


8 comments:

  1. Hi Linda
    You know my comment here...;)
    But just for the record, and maybe for others reading this who believe everything they read on the web "DON'T"!!!
    In this list, anywhere you read the word "bee" delete it.
    e.g. "in Danish is bibee" ignore the "bee" or " in french - abeillebee" ignore "bee".

    As always, Linda, you put so much time and energy into this blog! You are really inspiring! Keep it up.
    (Can't wait until you link my blog to yours)

    Warren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Warren,
    I've fixed the translations - thanks for the help and you are so right about not depending on the Internet although most of the time it's quite helpful! I've also added your blog to my blog list - it's a great blog. I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx a million! Billion times!
    Have a good 10 days - where ever you're going.

    Warren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, thought you might like to add the Maori (indiginous language of NZ) word for bee to your list, it is `Pi' with the accent on the `i'.
    We have a number of small native bees but had to import Apis mellifera to pollinate the European settlers` food crops in the late 1800`s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:50 PM

    If you want, you can add the translation for bee in Tagalog (one of the native languages of the Philippines).

    bee - pukyutan

    I didn't see bees while I was there, but I wasn't looking either (I wasn't yet a beekeeper).

    Kawayanan (Tagalog for grove of bamboo)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the contributions - I've added them to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some more:
    Lithuanian - bitė
    Latvian - bite
    Russian - пчёла

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, sg. As you can see, I've added your contributions to the list.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...