Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Friday, April 20, 2007

Funny quote from Organicbeekeepers list

There's a listserve on Yahoogroups: Organicbeekeepers. On the email this morning is this funny quote. The question was asked:
"Is one of the benefits to organic beekeeping healthier, more disease resistant bees?"

The person who answered the question said:

"That's the reason for organic anything, methinks. I bee healthy, you bee healthy, they bee healthy. Lotsa healthy bees. :-)"

That certainly is my goal with not using poison and not treating the bees chemically. I can't say that I am an organic beekeeper yet, though, because my bees came in nucs which came from beekeepers who probably treat their bees and even if they don't, use foundation which has chemicals accumulated in the wax from previously chemically treated bees.

In addition, the organic folks think that it is outside of organic methods to use powdered sugar to get the bees to clean the varroa mites off of their bodies and it is outside of organic methods to feed the bees anything but honey. I do powdered sugar shakes and I feed the bees sugar syrup in the winter and early spring.

In psychology, the term successive approximation applies. This means that I am gradually moving to pure organic beekeeping but I am not there yet. To the best of my ability so far, I am practicing my version of organic beekeeping, but obviously have a way to go before I can call myself an organic beekeeper.

1 comment:

  1. Hi;

    Thanks for my blog's link.

    Halil Bilen
    Turkey

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...